Re: Posting to a page with JavaScript

Sender: daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey, I think I got it!  If this is it then I need to do something to
automate the fix.  In the mime-encoded file it was originally creating a
line that read:

I debugged the program and after the file was created and closed I edited
it to be:

I had been playing with the Content-Type: text/plain and one of the
returned error messages lead me to believe that they were trying to process
the /ACH folder as a folder on their system.  When I made the change it
worked.  I just need to refine it a bit.  Thanks for everything (again).
<g>

Even a blind dog gets a rabbit sometimes!

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571

                      Scott Klement
                      <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        To:       ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      com>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Posting to a page with JavaScript
                      owner-ftpapi@xxxx
                      e.ods.net

                      02/14/2006 01:24
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      ftpapi

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I've got our digital certificate loaded on my PC so when I connect it
takes
> me past the login stuff.  The URL never changes in the address bar.  I'm
> guessing that the JavaScript is doing its magic instead of just throwing
up
> basic html.

When you bypass the signon screen using your PC, do you get the same HTML
source?  or is it completely different?

If it's different, I'd say that there's a program running on the server
that's reading your certificate and determining that it should send you
back a different page.

And, if that's the case, the problem is that you're not sending the
certificate properly from the iSeries.

> I've explained it to the guy I've been working with over and over but he
> still tells me to try clicking on this or that.  I just want to make sure
> that I learn something out of this experience to make it

Yes, but my point is, he may not understand what's happening under the
covers. He may never have been trained in how the page works, how the
server works, etc.  All he knows is how to use a browser, and has been
trained to help people with that.

> What do you mean by "consume"?  Do you mean a non-JavaScript site that I
> can access that accomplishes the same thing?

I mean a web service.  A web service is a web site designed for a program
to use, instead of a person.  Instead of geting input from a web form, you
send an XML document.  Instead of sending output in HTML, JavaScript,
JPEG, etc... it returns an XML document.

The word "consume" simply means "use".  If I write a program that consumes
a web service, what I've done is written a program that utilizes that web
service.

Since Web services are designed for programs to run instead of being
designed to be displayed in a browser, they're much easier for you to
write a program that calls them.  They're much easier to change without
breaking compatibility, etc.

I don't know if your bank offers a web service, but I'd find out. If they
don't, then you can go back to trying to automate their web site.