RE: https with userid and password

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

In your example below you do not encode the '?' start of parameter list. Are you sure that '?' must not be encoded?

Depends on what you want the ? to mean. The reason you sometimes encode a question mark is because it has a special meaning in a URL. It separates the program name from the parameters that are to be sent to that program.

If you don't want it to have that special meaning, then you need to encode it.

In my example, I had a parameter called "xml". I wanted that parameter to be sent to the program in the URL. The question mark therefore needed to have it's special meaning... the server needs to see that question mark and know that it's reached the end of the program name, and the start of the parameters.

If I encoded it, then the "xml=<whatever>" would look like it was part of the program name to the server.

On the other hand, the question marks in the <?xml version="1.0"?> tag are NOT intended to separate the program name from the parameters. If I don't encode those, they'll confuse the server.

Make sense?