RE: https with userid and password

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Since you might make many requests and encode each one, to use HTTPAPI's encoding routines, you must first "create an encoder". This creates temporary space in memory that HTTPAPI will use to store info while it's encoding data.

     D Enc             s                   like(HTTP_URL_ENCODER)
       .
       .
          Enc = http_url_encoder_new();

Once you've created the encoder, you can add variables to it with their values. It'll encode them properly so that the server won't choke on them. It'll store the result in that temporary space in memory that I mentioned above.

http_url_encoder_addvar(enc: 'xml': p_data: dataLen);

Once you've added all of the variables that you need to the encoder (in this situation, there's just one... the xml variable) you can use the contents of the encoder to construct a URL.

   url = 'https://apps2.tradegate2000.com/import/whatever' +
         + '?' + http_url_encoder_getstr(Enc);

This'll result in a URL like 'https://. . ./whatever?xml=datadatadata'

Then you pass that URL to the http_url_post() or http_url_get() routines. Here's a more complete example:

H DFTACTGRP(*NO) BNDDIR('LIBHTTP/HTTPAPI')

/copy libhttp/qrpglesrc,httpapi_h

     D rc              s             10I 0
     D Enc             s                   like(HTTP_URL_ENCODER)
     D xml             s           5000A   varying
     D url             s          32767A   varying

/free

         xml = '<?xml version="1.0">'
             + '<testXml>'
             + '   <Dummy>Scott Klement</Dummy>'
             + '   <OtherXml>BlahBlah</OtherXml>'
             + '</testXml>';

         Enc = http_url_encoder_new();
         http_url_encoder_addvar(Enc: 'xml': %addr(xml)+2: %len(Xml));

         url = 'https://apps2.tradegate2000.com/import' +
               http_url_encoder_getstr(Enc);

         rc = http_url_get(url . . .
         - or -
         rc = http_url_post(url . . .

http_url_encoder_free(enc);

         if rc <> 1;
            errmsg = http_error();
            // show errmsg to user!
         endif;

*inlr = *on;

/end-free

Due the fact that HTTPAPI didn't have much internal space for strings to send to the server in version 1.12 and earlier, I recommend that you use version 1.13 for this sort of logic. However, even so, you're limited to around 32k (actually, it's a bit less because of the space that the other HTTP headers use).

For anything longer than that, you really don't want to use data in the URL. You want to use actual POST data for a document longer than that... indeed many web browsers and web servers will choke on URL data that's longer than 8k. (POST data has no practical limit on how large it can be.)

I have no clue why you'd want to use variables like this on a POST request, other than that the developer who wrote the web service didn't really understand what he was doing. Sending the data as the body of the POST request is a much more robust solution!!

---
Scott Klement  http://www.scottklement.com