Re: Reading numeric fields from XML files

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Glenn,

* Prototype of a c-function used to convert alpha to integer
D atoi            pr            10i 0 extproc('atoi')
D   str                           *   value options(*string)

The only problem with this is that it's limited to what will fit in a 32-bit binary integer. It'll work great with '55555', but not so well with '3555555555'. If her numeric field is defined as 10,0, there's a good chance that support for numbers that are that large will be required.

If you read my response to the same question, you'll see that I recommended a different C function called atoll(). This one can handle larger numbers and therefore won't suffer from the same problem.