FTP Pulling Partial Files

We have a situation where we:

1.  Connect from a remote iSeries system to our system (using FTPAPI).
2.  Submit a job on our system.
3.  Have the original FTPAPI session "wait" for our job to end.  We have it look for a particular file that the submitted job creates when it is done.  If not found, it delays for 10 seconds and tries again.  Repeats until the file is created to tell the job to continue or until 10 times of "looking" (in case something has happened to the submitted job).
4.  Once the file is found, then the original job pulls the files back to do other processing on them.

What seems to be happening is that we are only pulling back some of the records from the remote side back to the "home" system.  I have a hard time believing that somehow the file writes on our system are still in the buffer or something and that when the FTP job wakes up and sees the "I'm Done" file, that it is pulling back incomplete files.  But, obviously I do not know the answer so at this point I am open to any suggestions or theories.

Do anyone have ideas on what may be happening, or even a better way to handle what I am trying to do.

Thanks much,
Brian