Re: RPG communicating with a web service

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have cloned an example and have been able to communicate with a web service by using http_url_get. I noticed that spaces don't seem to work, any ideas ?

If spaces don't work, then you've failed to encode them properly. Are you using the URL encoding routines, or doing the encoding yourself?

Is there any detailed doc on how the mechanics of all this works ? It appears to use the IFS OUTPUT API but I am not familiar with this, is there a site that details what is being done here.

Unfortunately, there isn't much documentation for HTTPAPI aside from the occasional presentations that I've done, the comments in the code, and the sample programs. Most people who use it to access Web services learn how from the sample code or from the mailing list.

I haven't really documented the internal workings of HTTPAPI at all. The people who are using it don't really need to know how it works, and those who want to help with development need to be able to read the source code, anyway.

However, I do have two tutorials that AREN'T specific to HTTPAPI, but cover APIs that HTTPAPI also uses:

IF you want to learn more about the IFS APIs, you can find information on my Web site:
http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/ifs.html

Likewise, if you want to learn about the Sockets APIs (those that handle the communication over the TCP/IP network) you can read about them on my Web site:
http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/socktut/