Re: Please, please don't bend over backwards any further for me!

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

What can I do to make some sort of amends to you, to say thanks in some
way? I thought of a write-up in the News/400 forum (of what you've done,
the quality of this software - what little I know), don't know whether
that would be appropriate, even if you'd like that. If not that, then I
ought to pay you a consulting fee (but it can't be huge, unless things
go yet further).

What would be really nice for you to do in return:

a) Help out with the open source projects. Once you've learned about HTTPAPI and how to make things work, stick around on this mailing list and help others when they need help.

b) Stop changing the subject lines of your e-mails... I sort my messages by topic, so having them all together under one subject makes it easier for me to follow it as a thread.

c) Don't complain every time I try to help you. :)

I'm so hoping that after restoring my stupid alteration of your code,
and getting people to register the app in the DCM, your code will work
fine, because I don't want to keep bothering you!! As you can tell, I
have some difficulties about accepting all this wonderful free help and
software. Why should you do this? What do you get for it?  I'll let you
know if/when everything you did runs fine, as I'm sure it will.

What do I get for it? I get to be a leader in the iSeries community. I get the respect of thousands of programmers. My services are always in demand -- including the ones I'm paid for -- because of this.

I wouldn't be the editor of Club Tech iSeries Programming Tips or a technical editor of iSeries NEWS (previously, "NEWS/400") magazine or a speaker at RPG World if I didn't do the things I've done for the community. (and these are all paying gigs!)

I've even been given an award by IBM and COMMON. In fact, I'm the only individual (so far) to win this award, all of the other winners are corporations, and that's pretty impressive.
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/innovationawards/intellectual.html

If I didn't do these things, I'd just be another RPG programmer.

Not to mention that I enjoy doing these things ;)