Re: Pointer math (merging ifs files)

Sender: Frank.Kolmann@xxxxxxxxxx

Please excuse my stupid question, as I dont know what memcpy is.
Is it an API   and  does it have the 16M limit of user spaces.

Frank Kolmann

                      Scott Klement
                      <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        To:       ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      com>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Pointer math (merging ifs files)
                      owner-ftpapi@xxxx
                      e.ods.net

                      16/03/2005 11:43
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      ftpapi

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> memcpy(u_data: s_data: st_size_s)
> memcpy(u_data + st_size_s: p_data: st_size_p)
> memcpy(u_data + st_size_s + st_size_p: e_data: st_size_e)

Hmmm... if you do that, you'll have to allocate memory to s_data, p_data,
and e_data, read the data into that memory, and then copy it to the user
space.  It would work, but you'd have two copies of everything in memory
at once, and you'd have to spend extra CPU cycles copying the memory.

So, it would work, but I wonder why you wouldn't just read it into the
user space directly?