Re: Connecting with HTTPS to secure server

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm using Scotts example 6 to connect to UPS to retreive tracking
information using HTTPS.

Do you mean example16?

I see the traffic going through the firewall (initiate and close)
The initiate doesn't trigger an error
But... I get a time-out! on the receive() command.

Can you make a debug log and send it to the list?

I don't know where to look anymore. Has anybody got this working and
can help me?

It works on my system. The thing that I think you should focus on is that the error is a "time out". If you can find out exactly where it's timing out, that would help -- and the debug log will help you do that.

To make a log in version 1.10 or earlier, you have to recompile HTTPAPI. Edit the CONFIG_H source member and find the line where it defines DEBUG. Make sure that it's defined, and that the HTTP_DEBUG_FILE is pointing to a valid IFS location. Then re-compile HTTPAPI. Now, each time you run HTTPAPI, it will create a debug file in the IFS location that you specified.

In future versions of HTTPAPI, you'll be able to turn debugging on and off and change the filename without needing to recompile anything -- but these new versions haven't been released yet

One thing bothers me though. Scott says in his readme that he had to
assign a certificate to the application. But that doesn't seem
logical, because the apllication is a client and therefore doesn't
need a certificate! Anybody??

That was a bug in the V4R5 version of the digital certificate manager. You had to assign a certificate or it wouldn't even try. It's not necessary in V5R2, and should be removed from the README.

That wouldn't cause a time-out error. It would cause a GSKit Error of some sort.