httpapi 1.10 testing problem

Sender: "Ian Patterson" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

We have started to test 1.10 & have encountered a problem

(Using SSL)

In the course of a post (http_url_post) it is anticpated that a User may get
an http 401 (not Authorised) error.
The remote server does not require a User ID & password - it is never
accessed by a person, only by client programs.
The security is handled via a signed challenge using a smart card & digital
certificate. The remote server returns a 401 error if the wrong smart card
is used, or the user has been suspended from the service.

httpapi 1.10 now returns an error message 'This page requires a user-id &
password' which is both confusing and wrong.

The real problem is that our application does not know what has actually
happened. In 1.9 & prev releases the return code
(rc = http_url_post) returned 401 for this error and we could then process
accordingly.
Now the rc is -1 plus the error message above.

I can see why this has been included, but its only a specific instance of
the 401 error.

Regards

Ian Patterson

ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>