RE: HTTPAPI - SSL (fwd)

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Rick,

> I'm sorry you are correct the state does go from Established to
> Time-wait.  Each call thereafter starts up another netstat entry with a
> different port in the 49700 range.  Eventually they will drop out of the
> netstat status screen.

That's standard in TCP communications of any sort.  If they're taking
abnormally long to close, it might mean that you're encountering packet
loss...   but, whatever the case, that's not HTTPAPI's fault :)

> I must have looked at when the program was running in debug or
> something.  I do have one more piece of information, I spoke with the
> guy at the remote site and he said everytime he puts a fresh copy of his
> executable out I can make a successful transaction but every try
> thereafter I get time out waiting for data.

Hmmm...  Why would a fresh copy of the executable matter?  HTTPAPI doesn't
have that much control over what the remote web server does with the
executable.

Possibly "connection: close" suggestion that I gave this morning will
help.

Though, I'd be a bit worried if anyone who can write a sockets program can
do a denial of service attack on his web server just by sending the right
data to it.  He needs to bullet-proof his prorgram so that it'll work no
matter what data gets sent to it or in what fashion!

> Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?  Not really
> sure this is even a problem with HTTPAPI itself.  But everytime he puts
> out a new executable I am able to send one transaction.  He is using
> .Net to provide this web service.

I was going to suggest activation groups -- but if he's using .Net, that's
probably not the problem :)   My Windows programming knowledge is a bit
rusty.

I still suggest trying "connection: close" as I mentioned this morning...
it might help.  If not, you can just remove it :)