Re: Install FTPAPI to a different library.

Sender: Frank.Kolmann@xxxxxxxxxx

I have a utilities library.  This library is in all production library
lists.
That way I dont need to use qualified commands nor manipulate users
library lists.  I still keep each utilities source in their own source
files in the
utilities library. Thats why I dont want to use LIBFTP.
Provided there is a ''úninstall" function, I simply manipulate the object
text with a prefix to keep common ojbects together I can easily remove
a utility.  LIBFTP already has a build function.

Can I preview version 2.0, perhaps beta test perhaps review the
documentation.

Regards
Frank Kolmann

                      Scott Klement
                      <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        To:       ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      com>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Install  FTPAPI to a different library.
                      owner-ftpapi@xxxx
                      e.ods.net

                      06/23/04 09:15 AM
                      Please respond to
                      ftpapi

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Next, is there some sort of archive where I can look up previous posts.
> Is there some documentation, perhaps I can help in some small way to
brush
> up or start some documentation.

There's an archive, but no search engine.  I suppose the volume of
messages isn't that high, you could just read them all :)

http://www.scottklement.com/archives/ftpapi/

Thomas Raddatz did write some Windows Help documentation for FTPAPI.
Unfortunately it's for FTPAPI 2.0 which still hasn't been released -- and
that's purely my fault, I've just been doing too many other things, and
I keep letting it slide.

> Installing  the FTP APIs to a DIFFERENT library that LIBFTP.
>
> 1.  After step 3 in the install process I found I needed to have the
source
> files in both
>     LIBFTP lib and the different lib.
>      It was necessary to have the different lib at the top of my *LIBL
>      Perhaps the 'readme' can be adjusted.

I think that the INSTALL program assumes that the source library and the
destination library are the same -- but then, I don't think the XML
installer is any different.

Personally, I think it's a better idea to keep FTPAPI in it's own library
with nothing else in that library.  That way, when it comes time to
upgrade, you can just delete the current LIBFTP and install the new one
without affecting anything else.

> 2.  The following comment  in TESTGET is not precise as I tried to
> uncomment ,
>      we are on V5R2 and the program did not compile also it has LIBFTP
> hardcoded,
>     I commented it again  and things went OK.  Perhaps this is not
needed.
> * If you're running V4 or later of OS/400, you can uncomment
> *  this line so that you don't have to type these on CRTBNDRPG:
> * BNDDIR('LIBFTP/FTPAPI') DFTACTGRP(*NO) ACTGRP(*NEW)

This will be fixed in 2.0.

> 3.  LIBFTP is hardcoded in TESTMIRIN and TESTMIROUT , I simply removed
it.
>      Provided the *LIBL has the different lib at the top it works OK.

This will be fixed in 2.0.

> 4  In TESTAPP  FTPLIB is hard coded in the path names.  I replaced it
with
> my different library, maybe the 'readme' can warn of this issue.

Hmmm... maybe we need a configuration file of some sort where the name of
the library can be set up.  Then the test programs can use that library
instead...