Re: Will HTTPAPI send test HL7 stream file?

Sender: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>  Thanks for the response. Sounds like HTTPAPI is kind of like internet
> explorer or mozilla for OS400.

No.  Certainly not.   It's true that IE and Mozilla both implement the
HTTP protocol, but that's about as far as the similarity goes.

99% of the code in Mozilla/IE is about rendering the document on the
screen and executing the support for the built-in languages, such as HTML,
XML, JavaScript, Java, etc...

HTTPAPI doesn't understand HTML, JavaScript or XML.  It doesn't know how
to display any documents on the screen.  All it knows how to do is
transfer data with the HTTP protocol.

> Interesting and maybe i have a use for this - but seems to not be for
> this purpose. What i need is something that will listen on a port and
> send also using TCP sockets.

That's not very specific.  That description fits about 90% of the TCP/IP
related software ever written...  You could be talking about HTTP, but you
could also be talking about FTP, Telnet, NNTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP4, SSH,
Gopher, Finger, RExec, LPR, the list goes on and on and on...

If you want to use HTTP, you can do it with HTTPAPI.  If you want to
listen as well, you can do it with the HTTP server that IBM provides.  It
does not make sense for the same program to both listen and send the HTTP
protocol.

> Guess i will need to start looking at sockets APIs.

No, you need to start by determining how you need to transport this data
over the network.  Presumably you have business partners that you need to
send the data to/from, and you need to make sure that you're all using the
same standard for transporting the data.

Once you've decided how the data will be transferred, you can start
thinking about whether you can use existing software like HTTPAPI, or
whether you need to write your own with sockets.

If you do want to use sockets, I've got a tutorial for RPG programmers
here:

http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/socktut/

> HL7 stands for Hospital Language version 7 - or something like that. It
> is basically just a stream of formatted data - sort of the the same
> purpose as XML but not as flexible or nice. Any programmer that works in
> a hospital will be all too familiar with HL7!

That's nice, but "XML" (and apparently "HL7") specifies the format of
data on a computer.  It has nothing to do with how that data gets
transferred over a network.

Sorry, I wish I could provide you with a more straightforward answer, but
I'm just not familiar with HL7 or the healthcare industry...