Re: Will HTTPAPI send test HL7 stream file?

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Mike,

> Just hoping for someone to confirm one way or another before i start
> playing with this- What i want to do is to be able to to edit a file in
> EDTF/notepad/whatever to create a mock HL7 transaction that i could send
> to an IP/Port address. Also would like to be able to listen/recieve on a
> port as well. Need to be able to set up or specify a particular port for
> send and recieve.  Is HTTPAPI suitable for this? Anyone done it? Thanks-
> Mike L.

I see that nobody has responded to this.  Personally, I don't know what
HL7 is.  A quick search with google turns up links to documentation for a
health care standard in Australia.  Is that what you're talking about?

HTTPAPI is a set of APIs for implementing HTTP client behavior in your ILE
programs. It's able to send requests to HTTP servers, and receive back their

It's not able to listen for connections, as it is just a client, not a
server.  But OS/400 does come with an HTTP server, so it would be silly to
write your own.

If HL7 data can be sent using the standard HTTP protocol, then a
combination of HTTPAPI and the HTTP server that comes with OS/400 should
be able to do the job, with a little programming on your part.

HTH