FTP Connection Sharing

Hi,
        Is there any way to have one program open an FTP Connection and have multiple programs share the connection? Right now am using FTPAPI to open a connection with a server. But as the program grows in use the overhead is getting to high to keep opening and closing the FTP connection to the server at every call of the program. Each call of the program is moving different types of data to the server and happens randomly when other processes end. I guess what I am asking is if there is a way for a program to open the connection and other programs gain access to that FTP session to move the data? It’s also an AS400 to and an AS400 Connection.

Thanks,
Coby