RE: http_url_post speed concerns

Sender: "Darren McBride" <darren.mcbride@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Scott,

Hokay, we seem to have gotten a bit off-topic here, which was not my
intention.

>>I'm well aware of how PCs work.   In all of the PCs I've ever set up
>>(which is quite a few) the largest paging file I've ever created was
>>768mb.  You're talking >>about 4gb!

I am quite sure that you're knowledge of PC's far outstrips mine. I
never intended my remark to be derogatory. I am only quoting statements
(and cannot even follow it up with explanations, as I don't understand
enough about addressing) that I have encountered during my previous 6
years of learning Delphi on PC's. Here is an example quote:

'AnsiString also used a 32-bit value as a length field, which, due to
Win32's flat address space, allowed strings to grow to a staggering 2
Gigabytes long, subject to memory limitations of course.'

My only point was that, subject to limitations, you could create a
string up to 2Gb long *if you wanted to* (I never have and probably
never will). I am well aware that the addressing range on the AS/400 far
exceeds that of the PC.

I am also well aware of my limitations as a programmer, and within
standard RPG I have been taught that the maximum limit of a string field
is 64K as at V4R4 (again, I may be very wrong about this, but the D spec
limits me as far as I can remember). I have requirements that exceed
64K. Not by that much granted, but 64K is too small for my current
project. I know I can combine them into arrays and that there are limits
on the arrays, but I want to create an ILE interface for my product that
caters for strings greater than 64K without having to resort to using
the IFS as a temporary storage depot.

I am also aware that you can use some C functions from RPG. I have never
allocated memory manually in RPG, as I have never known how to do it. I
have only recently learned how to mess with pointers, again from one of
the articles provided on your web site.

>>If you're willing to use the malloc() approach in C, then why aren't
you
>>willing to use the ALLOC op-code or BIF in RPG?    That would change
your
>>limit from 64k to 16mb.

I am willing to use whatever will work, and will only become aware of
facilities like this when explained to me by programmers who have done
this kind of thing before.

>>Frankly, if you're allocating more than 16mb to a single string,
>>something is seriously wrong >>with your application design, doesn't
matter if it's running on a PC or on the iSeries.

I don't want, or need, anything of that size. I do not however, want to
be limited to 64K.

Anyway, there was no intention on my part to provide misleading
information. I can't even remember what I said or how we got to this
point in the conversation. Enough said.

Kind regards,
Darren