RE: http_url_post speed concerns

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Darren McBride wrote:
> completely useless - hopefully). My biggest problem with RPG in its current
> implementation is string handling (64K max is a bit of a pain when dealing
> with this stuff when you can have 2-4Gb strings on a PC)

2gb strings?!!  Most PCs have less than 1/2gb of RAM!  You'd have to do a
lot of work on your PC to make it capable of 2gb strings!  But, maybe you
meant 2mb??  (I hope so!)

> and using the IFS or user spaces for passing in larger strings to these
> types of libraries is not within the remit of a lot of RPG programmers
> that I've encountered.

I wrote an e-book on IFS, which now is online for free since Snap-eBooks
went out of business.  Maybe that'll help:

http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/ifs.html

User spaces are very simple, and capable of handing large strings (but not
2gb!!) so, I don't see what's wrong with that...

> P.S. Scott, I would help out with this HTTP posting stuff, but my skills so
> far haven't even come close. I will begin making use of the library once I
> get an XML parser up and running, as I will mostly be using this stuff for
> web services from RPG.

That's what it's for.   But, you don't have to be a wizard to help.  If
nothing else, once you've figured out how to make it work, you could help
other people who are doing the same things you are.