Re: Help with FTP_delete - NT4

Sender: "Jim Watterson" <Watterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Scott (and anyone else)

As you indicated the problems described below are down to bugs in the
Microsoft NT4 ftp service - basically a delete command is sent, a 250
response received and the file is still there but its authority values are
screwed up such that no one (and I mean no one) can access it or delete it.
Replacing the MS service with a 3rd party (3COM) ftp server cures this
problem. Windows 2000 work fine. Our Windows guys reckon that NT4 was
written before Bill Gates discovered the Internet and a lot of their early
tcp/ip efforts were shaky.

LIBFTP is a fantastic utility. We are using it where before we were using
QNTC to move things from our iSeries to computers on a Windows domain. QNTC
is often shaky and unreliable and often required an IPL to fix problems.
With ftp we are using standards based software and if there is a problem
(as above) I know it aint the iSeries's fault!

Thanks again
Cheers
Jim

                    Scott Klement
                    <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxx        To:     ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    .com>                   cc:
                    Sent by:                Subject:     Re: Help with FTP_delete
                    owner-ftpapi@xxx
                    ie.ods.net

                    18/11/2002 09:47
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to ftpapi

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

When you see a message like '250 DELE command successful', this message is
coming from the FTP server.  That is, the NT box that the file is hosted
on is telling you that the delete command worked.   Clearly, if the server
says it worked, there's not much that FTPAPI can do except believe it.

The first think I'd check, if I were you, is the slashes in the filename.
In the sample you posted here, there are some slashes going one way, and
one going another way.  That strikes me as strange.

The only other thing that I can think of -- and this is purely a guess --
is that some other process is still accessing the file that you're trying
to delete.   The NT server is therefore saying that the delete was
successful, but will wait until the other process is done with the file
before actually deleting it.

Like I said, this is purely a guess.  I have very little experience with
using Windows machines as servers.   We use Windows as a desktop where I
work, and we use Unix and iSeries for servers.