Re: CWD, CD, error message

Sender: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Richard B Baird wrote:

> i'm testing an ftp transfer from a bank, and i'm looking at the job log and
> on a ftp_get operation, i'm getting these messages:
>
> > SIZE tst.ff01.p0xxfile(+0)
> 501 command aborted -- FTP server not configured for SIZE
> > TYPE I
> 200 Representation type is Image
> > PORT 205,243,79,227,34,151
> 200 Port request OK.
> > RETR tst.ff01.p0xxfile(+0)
>
> The (+0) in the file name is the bank's syntax to find and retrieve the
> 'latest' version of the file (they use a seq% in the file .xxxx extention).
>
> it looks like you send the size, type, port and retr commands within the
> ftp_get function  what, if any, are the ramifications if the SIZE command
> doesn't return anything? (as above)

If you have a status procedure registered to tell you the progress of
your file transfer, the "total file size" passed to the status procedure
will be zero.   That's the only thing that the output of the SIZE command
is used for.

> the get command didn't work - but it very well could be because the latest
> file (+0) wasn't available - but I won't be able to do a complete test for
> a week, and i'm trying to cover all my bases.

The messages you've posted don't show the error from the RETR (retrieve)
command.  This is the command that does the "actual" get, so if you could
post the responses that came after that, I could tell you more.

Your subject refers to the CWD command having an error message, but you
didn't say anything about that in the actual body of the e-mail.  Is there
an error there, too?