Re: revisiting the ftp_list problem

Sender: "Richard B Baird" <rbaird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Scott,

> Believe it or not, I put a lot of thought into the design of FTP_list :)

I believe you.  But i don't have pointer access to your brain... ;)

> It's legal.   The one thing that I do want to clarify, however, is that
> YOU must allocate the memory that FTP_list will be using.  It does not
> allocate it for you.

this is where all this stuff get's fuzzy for me.  is it because once the
procedure is finished, and I haven't allocated it before hand, it becomes
volitile?

> > You used the phrase "the pointer returned by FTP_list" and I just want
> > make sure we don't have a misunderstanding here.   FTP_list does not
> > return a pointer.   You give it an input-only pointer, which it uses to
> > determine where to store the entries returned from the server.

it's the pointer I provide of the memory i've allocated, (whether by ALLOC
or defining the array) rather than one that it gives back to me...  got it.

> If you decide to use a pointer, and you wish to allow FTP_list to return
> up to 32767 entries, then you must allocate 256 * 32767 bytes for
FTP_list
> to use with the ALLOC op-code.   And you must call DEALLOC when you're
> done with that memory.

> As long as you do that, your method will work nicely.

so, to do it properly, run ftp_list once with a nbr of entries to retrieve
(y) = 1, just to get the total number of entries found (x), then allocate
memory for (x * 256) + 2560 (to account for any additional files that might
have been added at that moment), call again and with y = x + 10 to get the
actual file names into memory, read them by incrementing my pointer field
as described before, and when done, DEALLOC the memory.

Right?

Thanks again,

rick