Re: Welcome to ftpapi - TESTING

Sender: "Richard B Baird" <rbaird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Scott,

> Can you please quote the message normally?  This type of quoting
> freaks me out.

sorry, i use notes browser based mail and the 'reply with history' java app
is junk and screws up the message.  it's just easier to copy and paste the

> That data is intended to be human-readable.  No other FTP server that
I've
> ever seen outputs its directories in the same format as the iSeries.  And
> even if it did, you'd have no guarentee that it wouldn't change from
> release to release.

> The idea is, it's human-readable, so as long as a person can still read
> it, they can change it any way they want.

> Even on the same AS/400 at the same release, you could do a
>     CHGFTPA LISTFMT(*UNIX)
> and your program would no longer work correctly.

I've come to realize that since i sent that last email. (your's and jim
langston's emails).

> > re. using IFS apis vs ftpapi for directory mirroring, and using the
same
> > code for push and pull...

> Err, not really.   Pushing would require an FTP_Put whereas Pulling would
> require FTP_Get.

obviously.  that would be handled logically in my design.  What I meant was
that the duplication of directory structure would be the same code, because
it wouldn't matter if I was connected locally or remotely when I saved the
structure or when i created the structure.

> I haven't tested doing two simultaneous FTP connections using the FTPAPI,
> so I'm not sure how well it'd work to be connected to two servers from
the
> same program.
<snip>

I was planning to be connected to only one at a time.  obviously, i hadn't
worked out all the details yet, but my plan was to save the layout on one
side (whether local or remote) disconnect, connect to the other side and
duplicate the layout.  all this is moot now, since: I can't easily use
ftp_dir, to save the layout due to platform differences, and you've already
written much the code to do what i want.

I'll download the new version and check it out.  Thanks again for all your
help!

Rick