Re: Welcome to ftpapi - TESTING

Sender: "Richard B Baird" <rbaird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply.

I was going to use plain old input/output source file scripting to do what
i'm trying to do, but it became increasingly apparent that what i want to
do was getting way too complicated, so i decided to give your api a try.

I've played around with your examples in debug mode and there's a lot to
it.  A very nice set of tools though, i must say.

Just for a little background, what i'm trying to do is to interogate a
series of nested directories on the local IFS and and 'put' the results,
directories included, to a remote server.

for instance...

dir 1a
  dir 2a
     dir 3a
         filea
         fileb
     dir 3b
         filea
         fileb
  dir 2b
     dir 3a
         filea
         fileb
     dir 3b
         filea
         fileb
etc.

I do know what most of the directory structure is supposed to look like,
but I don't know:

a. the names of the third level of directories.
b. which directories i've already created on a previous pass.
c. which files i've already retrieved.
d. the names of the files in the directories.

so, i need to interogate the local directory structure, and duplicate if
necessary on the remote server, then copy all file within those directories
from local to remote, bypassing the ones I may have already done
previously.

I've played around with your examples, and i'm getting reasonably
comfortable with them, but, I not that used to using service pgms,
procedures, prototypes, etc. and some of your functions are a little less
well documented than others, so I have a few questions.

1.  what are the differences between functions: FTP_dir and FTP_dirraw?
2.  could someone provide an example of using either one or both?
3.  an example of using the List2Array function would be useful also.

I'm writing this app as an all purpose ftp tool, so that I can schedule
regular ftp transfers via a 'set-up once' control file with from/to paths,
including replacement variables, wild cards etc., and to schedule these
batch transfers via a command interface.    If anyone's interested, i
wouldn't mind sharing it with the group when i'm done.

Thanks again,

Rick