ftpapi object type

Sender: "Sean Porterfield" <sporter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>     1)  Does anyone know a reliable way of determining if an object in
>          the IFS is a record-based file, a save file, or a stream file?
>          Keeping in mind that symbolic links could be used to make a
>          file in /QOpnSys/ (for example) point to a file in /QSYS.LIB

You've probably already figured this much out, but doesn't stat() tell you
the object type?  (
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/qb3aut03/1.0 lists
types.)

stat resolves symbolic links, lstat does not.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QB3AM403/2.45#HDRLSTAT
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QB3AM403/2.71#HDRSTAT

I couldn't even figure out how to create a symlink in / to a QSYS.LIB file.
All I found was that when you choose copy from the IFS you can specify
whether the copy of a symlink should copy the symlink or the object to which
the symlink points.