Re:

Sender: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I hate to reply to my own messages, but... :)

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Scott Klement wrote:

> > 2)  Isn't there a standard ASCII codepage?  codepage 819 maybe?
>
> All the code pages are standard.   For example, the codepage normally
> used in MS-DOS is codepage 437.   Codepage 819 is another ASCII codepage,
> also standard.   IF you live in Italy, there's another codepage which
> might be your standard...
>
> So we could just pick one (If we do that I'd pick 437) or we could give
> an option in the FTPAPI somehow to allow the user to pick which codepage
> to translate to... which might be a feature...

[SNIP]
> Perhaps what I SHOULD do is see what IBM's doing in their FTP client... :)

This is from the help text of OS/400's FTP command:

                        Start TCP/IP File Transfer (FTP)

 :               Coded character set identifier (CCSID) - Help
:
 :
:
 :  Specifies the ASCII coded character set identifier (CCSID) that is
used   :
 :  for single-byte character set (SBCS) ASCII file transfers when the FTP
:
 :  TYPE mode is set to ASCII.  ASCII file transfers are also assumed when
:
 :  no TYPE subcommand has been issued.  The CCSID value chosen is the
:
 :  default used by the FTP client for ASCII-to-EBCDIC and EBCDIC-to-ASCII
:
 :  mapping.  Mapping is determined using the specified ASCII CCSID and
the   :
 :  EBCDIC CCSID of the job.
:
 :
:
 :  Outgoing and incoming mapping can be done optionally with mapping
tables  :
 :  defined in the TBLFTPOUT and TBLFTPIN parameters.  Normally the
:
 :  TBLFTPOUT and TBLFTPIN parameters are set to the default of *CCSID or
:
 :  *DFT.  Both parameters indicate that the value used in the CCSID
:
 :  parameter is used for mapping.  If a mapping table is to be used for
:
 :  outgoing mapping, a table object can be specified in the TBLFTPOUT
:
 :  parameter.  The table object specified in the TBLFTPOUT parameter is
:
:  used instead of the CCSID value.
:
 :
:
 :  Incoming mapping can be changed to use a mapping table by specifying a
:
 :  table object in the TBLFTPIN parameter.  This mapping table overrides
:
 :  the specified CCSID value and is used for incoming mapping.
:
 :
:
 :  Double-byte character set (DBCS) CCSID values are not permitted for
this  :
 :  parameter. DBCS values can be specified using the TYPE subcommand.
:
 :
:
 :      Note:  IBM includes mapping support in FTP to ensure compatibility
:
 :      with releases prior to V3R1.  Use of mapping tables for incoming
:
 :      TYPE A file transfers results in the loss of CCSID tagging if the
:
 :      target file must be created.  IBM strongly recommends that you use
:
 :      CCSID support for normal operations.
:
 :  The possible values are:
:
 :
:
 :  *DFT
:
 :      The CCSID value 00819 (ISO 8859-1 8-bit ASCII) is used.
:
 :
:
 :  CCSID-value
:
 :      The requested CCSID value is used.  This value is validated to
:
 :      ensure a valid SBCS CCSID was requested.
:
 :
:
 :      The TBLFTPOUT and TBLFTPIN parameters are used to specify
:
 :      user-defined incoming and outgoing mapping tables. The
user-defined   :
 :      mapping tables replace the mapping done by the FTP client when the
:
 :      CCSID parameter is specified.
:
 :

So... it looks like unless you specify the codepage at the command-line,
IBM defaults it to 819.   So, I propose that we set a default of 819 to
match this -- and have an ftp_ccsid() procedure to allow the programmer
to override.

Your comments/input are certainly welcomed...